The firm of Bernard, Balgley & Bonaccorsi, LLP, or its predecessors, has been in practice since 1979. Steven Bernard has been with the firm since its inception until 2011. Ms. Balgley and Mr. Bonaccorsi joined the firm in 1987.
Practice areas include family law, real estate development, wills, personal injury, products liability, insurance disputes, contract disputes and real estate litigation.
The firm's philosophy is that each case is unique and there are a number of approaches that may be appropriate in each set of circumstances. The firm has vast experience in litigation. The firm's policy has always been that a free initial consultation is designed to give clients the opportunity to determine if we would be a good fit in their representation. We also believe that it is important to have someone who the client can feel comfortable with and work with during this time.
Steven Bernard is one of the pre-eminent trial lawyers in the East Bay. He has tried hundreds of jury and non-jury trials to completion and has obtained verdicts in the tens of millions of dollars for his clients. In his over 35 years of practice, he has handled landmark litigation matters in a wide variety of fields, including personal injury, land use, real estate, environmental law, construction defect, business and corporate matters, employment, labor, and family law. Several his cases have resulted in published appellate opinions in areas as wide ranging as personal injury, copyright, and land use.
Mr. Bernard advises clients undertaking complex business transactional matters , including the purchase and sale of businesses, project financing including real estate development loans, subdivision map processing, CEQA compliance, partnership and corporate formation, business planning, estate planning and other matters of importance to his clients. He represents major land developers in Northern California, labor unions, municipal agencies, automobile dealerships, and hundreds of individuals and businesses.
Mr. Bernard is a graduate of the City University of New York and Brooklyn Law School. He is also a member of the California and New York State Bar Associations, and was actually sworn into the California Bar, in 1973 by William O. Douglas, a Supreme Court Justice. He is also admitted to practice in the Federal District Court for the Northern District of California.
Associations & Community Activities:
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum - The Top Trial Lawyers In America
- Member, Who's Who in America
- Member, AARP Legal Services Network
- Inductee CCNY Athletic Hall of Fame 1984
- Member, The United States Fencing Association All American status achieved, June 1967
- Representative, American GI Forum
- Past President, Temple Beth Torah, Fremont, CA
- Coach & Officer, Mission San Jose Little League, Fremont, CA
- Member 1976-1999, Mission San Jose Schools PTA
Elise M. Balgley
Elise Balgley has an undergraduate degree in political science and sociology from the University of California at Los Angeles and a J.D. with honors from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Elise has practiced law for 30 years; 27 of which have been spent in a general civil practice in Fremont and Newark. Her practice focuses on assisting individuals and small businesses in planning and litigation matters.
As an adjunct to her practice, Elise is involved in various organizations in the Tri-Cities community. She is an active member of the Kiwanis Club of Fremont as well as the American Business Women's Association and Soroptimist International. She has also served on the National Board of Directors of the American Business Women's Association.
Associations and Community Activities:
- Fremont Chamber of Commerce
- Newark Chamber of Commerce
- American Business Women's Association - Pathfinder Chapter
- Soroptimist International of Fremont
- Kiwanis Club of Fremont
- Music for Minors II
- Serra Center
David Bonaccorsi has been a partner with the law firm of Bernard, Balgley & Bonaccorsi, since 1997, focusing primarily in civil litigation, real estate law, construction defect litigation, probate, employment law, family law, personal injury, and appellate advocacy.
He graduated cum laude from Santa Clara University School of Law. He was sworn in to the Bar by former California Supreme Court Justice Edward Panelli in 1987. Mr. Bonaccorsi has an AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
Associations and Community Activities:
- Former Chair and Longest-serving Fremont Planning Commissioner
- Chair, Regional Oversight Board to Fremont Redevelopment Successor Agency
- 25-year+ member, Fremont Chamber of Commerce and Leadership Fremont Graduate
- 10-year+ member, Fremont Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee
- Board member Abode Services
- Past President, Fremont Education Foundation
- Lifetime member, Citizens for Better Community
- Board member, Music At The Mission